I may be a very hardworking *ahem* eater, but I’m actually quite a lazy cook at home. And let me say this:
There ain’t no shame in using modern conveniences!
I do love making a lot of things from scratch, but there are just some sauces that take so much time and effort that it’s really worthwhile getting a good packet sauce mix, for the convenience. Sambal belachan, for example, is one of those that’s full of pungent fermented-shrimpness and takes ages, so JUST BUY THE DAMN BOTTLE.
And Chilli Crab, for me, is one of the other. Sure, make your own when you have the time, but there’s nothing to say that you can’t enjoy a weekend meal on a weekday. You just need a little helping hand. So this Singapore Chilli Crab Fried Rice uses packet Chilli Crab sauce, bottled sambal belachan, frozen vegetables, and a tub of picked crab meat.
And it’s frickin’ delicious, in 40 minutes or less.
- 1.5 cups raw medium grain rice
- 200g chilli crab sauce packet***
- 200g mixed stir fry vegetables*
- 280g crab meat**
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp sambal belachan
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- Cook the rice according to packet instructions.
- Finely dice the onion and garlic, and cut the mixed vegetables into bite sized pieces, if needed.
- Sweat the onion and garlic over medium heat in a large pan or wok, till the onions start to turn translucent.
- Add the chilli crab sauce, with the sambal belachan.
- Add the mixed vegetables and fry it with the sauce. If using frozen vegetables, put the lid on the pan/wok and leave for a minute.
- Turn the heat up to high.
- Mix in the crab meat to the vegetables.
- Break two eggs into a bowl and beat lightly.
- Push the vegetable mixture aside and make a space in the middle of the pan.
- Add the egg, and leave to fry for 30 seconds.
- Break the egg up into pieces, and add the cooked rice.
- Mix the rice and the mixture, stirring till all the rice is coated in the sauce.
- Leave the rice on high heat, untouched, for a minute at the end to create crispy bits at the bottom.
- Mix in and serve.
- * I used frozen stir-fry mixed vegetables, for convenience.
- **I used pre-picked blue swimmer crab meat. You can get this at the fish monger's or at selected grocery stores.
- ***Chilli Crab sauce can be found at Asian grocers. I always try to pick the ones with no MSG.